Monday, July 12, 2010

My Husband Rocks

At the end of May Mark and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. I recalled at the time how much I enjoyed being able to call him my husband once we were married. That feeling has seriously intensified in these last couple weeks. I am beyond proud, grateful, and incredibly lucky that Mark is my Husband. To say the time since I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor has been filled with a bit of stress, pressure, and just a few things out of the ordinary might be a bit of an understatement.

From wading through treatment options, sharing the news, pretty much putting life on hold for a few weeks, he has done it all without question, and usually with a good dose of humor. His analytical approach to looking at things often kept my mind from wandering in millions of what if scenarios that would not have done any good! Then came the day of surgery and recovery in the hospital. As terrifying as it was for me, they were long days for Mark also. In the hospital, he was my advocate, and often voiced my concerns before I could. He made sure I ate, walked, brushed my teeth ... all things I didn't always want to do. At one point, he even changed the sheets on the bed when the nursing assistant wasn't being quick enough (seriously, an hour should have been enough time).

Once I was released from the hospital, convalescence care continued at home. Helping me shower, wash my hair, change the bandage on my head, he did it all without any complaint. When we had the stitches taken out, the doctor commented that he had done a better job wrapping my head than some of the interns!

Mark, I love you and am so very thankful for everything you do! I could not ask for a more caring and supportive partner through all of this.

And did I mention a major home remodeling project this weekend, too? We have often been frustrated with our deck - it is two levels, making each area just small enough to be limiting. So Red came up with a plan to raise the deck using jacks, and Saturday saw the execution of the plan! Mark and Red make a pretty good team! I feel like our deck is a giant dance floor, just waiting for a party under the stars!

A quick progress report on me... since getting the stitches out last Thursday, there has been a decent amount of fluid around the incision. To keep the swelling down, Mark has still been wrapping my head up in a pressure bandage. Let me tell you, this is really not the style I was hoping for! It was off during the day today, but "Dr. Mark" wrapped it back up tonight. The eye doctor continues to be happy with my eye and the protective measures in place. I had a good day today ... a bit of a stiff neck, but no headache to speak of, and a good amount of activity. I also didn't take much pain medication during the day... maybe a good sign.

2 comments:

  1. Mark sure does rock -- I have been so impressed with his support as it shines through this blog. Keep healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, what a beautiful tribute. Glad you had a good day. Aunt Martha

    ReplyDelete