Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Patient's Perspective

First, all the support has been amazing! I can't begin to let everyone know how much your comments, cards, well wishes, and prayers have meant to me! I know I should have expected nothing less from Mark, but his communication, care, and encouragement has been awesome! Hugs and smiles from our daughters having been the best does of medicine ever.

Mark tells me I look way better than the picture from a couple days ago. Less swelling and less of a black eye. Still a lop-sided face, though. I'll try to get a photo posted soon.

My facial nerve function continues to be the symptom that needs the most attention. I can't blink my right eye, and have no movement on that of my face.

The ophthalmologist has been my new best friend here is Des Moines. I went back today and he was very happy to report that the area where my cornea had thinned by about 50% had completely filled back in! I am continuing to wear a band-aid contact lens (about 2 cm in size) to protect my eye, and lubricate it with lots of gel. Tomorrow they will dilate my eyes again and check for swelling and other things. Hopefully the treatments in place will work until my facial nerve regains some function.

In addition to my eyelid not closing, it is very hard to control the right side of my face. It feels like someone is playing with puppet strings in my head, especially when I try to talk a lot. So talking on the phone or reading a story to Delaney takes a lot of energy.

I'm trying to be active around the house, taking short walks and just take care of myself. Of course, balance with rest!

I still have an ACE bandage wrapped around my head, and will until we go back to Iowa City next Thursday to have the stitches removed. I did take a peak at my scar, stitches and bit of shaved head this morning - not nearly has bad as I expected! I feel like my ear should look like a piece of cauliflower all swollen, but it actually looks pretty normal.

~ Kathleen

4 comments:

  1. Uncle Fred and I have really enjoyed our first experience with blogging! We have "tuned in" every day. Mark's comments were really appreciated, but, of course, it is great to hear from you now Kathleen also! We know from Fred's recent experience with medical issues that there always seemed to be some steps backward mingled in with the forward steps. Looking back on over eight weeks since his surgery, what a long list of forward steps he has had! We wish the same long-term success for you! With so many dedicated members on your supporting "team", you can't go wrong!
    Love to all from Aunt Mary and Uncle Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathleen - so glad to hear that your eye is improving and that you are getting around. We will be around l weekend and next week - how about we drop off a meal? Maybe Delaney wants to come over for a swim/play? Keep up the great healing work !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The update on your eye sounds like a great step forward. I hope it continues. Continued prayers that your facial nerve continues to heal as well. Your body has gone through much trauma and needs time to heal itself, but it will come, even if in baby steps. Love and hugs to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathleen - Keep that positive attitude! It may be frustrating at times, but your daily progress is FANTASTIC and much better than average (Mark can provide the odds :-) Your work family is all cheering and chatting about you daily. We're here and staying close. ~Jody

    ReplyDelete