Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wednesday update - good to be home. Healing is going ok. Mark has been running around tracking down medical supplies. He helped me take a shower today and washed my hair so I feel much better as a result. He continues to play nurse and put on my pressure bandage this morning. Still some headaches but the pain meds seem to control it.

We are at the opthologist and they discovered some issues with my right eye, all of which are side effects of the surgery and not being able to blink my eye. The one that most concerns them right now is that my cornea is thinning as a result of my eye not closing all the way and even with the artificial tears, it is not enough to protect it. So they are fitting me with a special contact lense to protect the eye and keep it lubricated. They are also recommending more agressive moisture management, so we may end up going to a moisture chamber (think syran wrap over my eye) full time. I am told to expect daily visits to the opthamologist for the next few days.

We are scheduled back in Iowa City next week to get stitches removed and let Dr. Gantz check to ensure everything is healing as it is supposed to.

9 comments:

  1. Just a few minor detours, but so you are back with girls. Rest, heal, and fee the love everyone has for you.
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, as much as I've appreciated and enjoyed Mark's heartfelt and sometimes funny postings, I'm so glad to hear from you directly. All I can say is, hang in there, girl. From what I've seen on your blog, family and friends both near and far are all rooting for you in a big way. Here's wishing you the speediest recovery possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathleen, so good to hear from you. Will continue to pray for your eye issues and your continued healing!
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen, so good to hear from you. while the opthamalogist assessment wasn't what you wanted to hear, at least they're on top of it... and I know you and Mark will be diligent in following doctor's orders. If there's a time we could spell Mark off in getting you to that daily eye dr. appt., just let us know! Bob's not travelling for the next few weeks, so you'd be doing him a favor... giving him an excuse to get out of the house!
    Bob & Jan

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen, I am so glad to read through and find that you are home with your girls. I have been thinking of you often and I hope you continue to gain and your eye comes along quickly. That must be frustrating and uncomfortable. I love your picture - you are still so beautiful! Hugs my friend!!

    Corgi lover

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you back at the keyboard, Kathleen. Keeping up with the prayers and wishing you continued good progress:)
    Liz aka MaryElizabeth@DSP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update Kathleen. I have been thinking about you a lot and continue to pray for a full recovery. I hope you are managing to keep your spirits up with each new wrinkle. From the updates we got from Mark, I bet he is making sure of it. What a great guy you have abd it's obvious he is crazy about you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL. I am laughing at my last post. I hope the last line doesn't get lost. I did NOT say Mark is crazy.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are home and feeling better. Since I know how disciplined you are there is no need to tell you to follow doctor's orders. I hope the headaches subside soon and your eye heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete